Monday, February 1, 2010

Even When I Run


So, I love to run.

Someone asked me the other day, “What is it that you love about running?”

Wow. I haven’t tried to put it into words before.

I haven’t always been a runner. I only started running about 2 years ago.
Some things about my life had to change and starting to run was part of that.

Walk for 10 minutes, run for 2 minutes….do it again. That’s how it started one cold, winter day on a treadmill, indoors.

I kept at it on my treadmill; two to three mornings a week. I started to lose some weight. I felt better overall. The weather warmed up and I took a run outside. I remember thinking to myself, “Is this really me? Am I doing this? I’m a runner!”

I often used my running time to pray, praise and worship. I’d dialog with the Lord about how I was doing, messes I’d made or ways I’d seen Him working in my life. I really connect with Him in a powerful way when I moving my body. He’s been walking me through a time of discovery these last few years about how He has designed me. He’s helping me see and embrace my unique role in the Epic adventure of life here on Earth. For a while now, people I encounter will tell me what a strong person I am. I haven’t known what to do with that, but have been working on gaining a better understanding about who I am and how God views me and what kind of plan He has for my life.

God has used the last 2 years to lead me on a journey inside myself.

I now also weight train. I learned how to swim and now I train for triathlons. I’ve completed 4! I’ve sorted through some painful emotional stuff as I’ve shed more than 70 pounds now. I’ve had a few of those “Biggest Loser” moments, crying during the workout (I kept looking for the cameras!), during the run and once during a swim.

So, back to the question. What is it I love about running?

Every time I run I’m in that moment where I began to change my life. The moment before I ever stepped onto the treadmill! I’m making the choice to step into what God’s already granted me. I own it. Anything is possible there. For however many miles I’m the truest, freest me I can be. The woman God created me to be. I can feel the strength and drive and beauty He’s crafted within me. Sometimes, I can bring that woman right out of the run with me and we can face the challenges of life standing squarely in God’s strength and grace. Even when God and I have been wrestling about big life stuff, He meets me there.

We run together. And no matter how I may try to escape or hide sometimes, He captures me in His love. Even when I run….

4 comments:

  1. This is so fabulous! Glad it's finally here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand your love for running. I can't believe I waited until I was 51 to start running. Isn't it wonderful to live out who God created you to be!

    PS I love your profile pic. I can see how much weight you have lost, congratulations!! You are so beautiful inside and out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy you finally decided to start your blog. I love reading what you have to say. It is very inspiring to me. Love seeing the changes God has made in your life as he fashions the woman he has created you to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Holly - Thanks so much for the encouragement sweetie! I'm so excited to walk with you!
    @ Denise - It really is wonderful Denise, to embrace who God's calling me to be each day! Thanks for your encouragement!
    @ Paula - so love that your my friend "Ironman" friend and I can share the journey, inside and out, with you!

    ReplyDelete

I just love hearing everyone's feedback! Please keep it coming!